Friday, September 23, 2011

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

I have been fooled. Close to a year ago, on my birthday, we went to that "pig restaurant", El Cerdo. The one in Changkat Bukit Bintang. Remember? We ordered a whole suckling pig, and it was tradition to smash a plate and then use the broken plate to cut the pig.

The person who attended to us asked which one of us was going to have the honours of smashing the plate. You asked me to do it, because it was my birthday. You told me to bring us luck, because that was what it signified.

He asked me to wish for either one of these - relationship or wealth. I wasn't supposed to say it out loud. I made my wish, and smashed the plate. He used the plate to cut the pig up, and we ate it.

Later on, you asked me what I wished for. I told you "relationship". And you had that disappointed look on your face. You said, "We already have a relationship. You should have asked for wealth instead."

Close to a year later, I can't help but feel like I've been fooled. I wished for good luck in relationships. And you know what's funny? I don't have either right now. I don't have good luck in relationships, and I don't have good luck in wealth either.

From now on, I will not make wishes on my birthday. They have never, and will never come true.

I will no longer be the same person I was before. Because I will no longer be taken for a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment