Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I danced my way out

I have a curtain that hides my face away from the world. I'm not sure what I want people to see anymore. The truth. The whole truth. Nothing but the truth.

Wait. That sounded like a line out of a debate speech I gave when I was 15.

Didn't your nightmares begin then? I vaguely recall one night when I was a baby. I couldn't sleep, and my mother held me in her arms and sang songs to me. She pointed out a lizard to me. Perhaps that is why I find comfort in such things. A song. Animals. Strong arms that hold you through your pain.

Only my arms could hold me now. But they will suffice.

I know this sounds so jaded. But maybe I truly do not need a man. I know I hang around a lot of guys, and this is probably why guys always see me as one of them. I'm always a dude. But in reality, I'm not. I have a heart that can only belong to a woman.

And oh, how much more of a sexist can I be?

I can't be fooled, I thought.

I crossed the road, looked behind my shoulder. I saw you.

You followed me down the street.

We held hands. We laughed.

Then the world stopped spinning for a moment.

I kissed you.

Run away with me, you whispered.

And reality came buzzing in.

I was trapped. I was trapped.

I am me, in my skin.

I found my way out.

I danced my way out.

Some days I feel like I've lost everything but my mind.

Other days I feel like I've lost nothing but my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment